Principal Software Engineer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2023
Attentive® is the world’s #1 conversational marketing platform, on a mission to maximize performance with intelligent, 1:1 SMS and email capabilities. Our SMS-first software platform helps everyone from entrepreneurs to enterprises strengthen relationships with their consumers in a new way. Through two-way, real-time, personalized communications, we drive billions in e-commerce revenue and over 8,000 leading brands like CB2, Pura Vida, GUESS and Urban Outfitters rely on Attentive to deliver powerful commerce experiences.
Attentive’s growth has been recognized by Deloitte’s Fast 500, Linkedin’s Top Startups and Forbes Cloud 100 all thanks to the hard work from our global employees!
Who we are
We're looking for a Principal Software Engineer to spearhead the development of our marketing platform automation initiatives. You will be instrumental in designing and building scalable systems to automate messaging. Collaborating closely with both engineering and product leadership, you'll play a key role in scaling the product from its inception to a mature, robust system.
Why Attentive needs you
- You understand how to negotiate with Product Management to meet the user’s needs without sacrificing quality or accruing tech debt. You deeply loathe regressions and take proactive steps to protect against them through a variety of testing techniques
- You are constantly improving the quality of the project you are working on, both via code contributions as well as long-term advocacy for larger-scale changes
- Build amazing consumer experiences, taking responsibility for code quality, scalability, reliability and performance
- You have a track record of working with systems over a long enough period to understand the long-term impact of architectural decisions
- Proficiency in at least one of the following programming languages: Java, Python, or Go
- Demonstrated expertise in designing and managing complex, distributed systems, preferably at scale
- Outstanding communication skills, coupled with the ability to simplify and articulate intricate technical concepts
- Enthusiasm for building systems that adhere to high standards of quality without compromising speed and efficiency
- 8,000 brands powered by Attentive sent over 1.6 billion text messages over Cyber Week 2022 (Black Friday/Cyber Monday) representing a growth of 41% from 2021
- We sent 24 billion SMS messages in 2022. That’s an average of 50 million per day
- Our production cluster contains over 9,000 containers which serve 170+ services
- Our streaming services process over 28 billion events per month
What we use
- Our infrastructure runs primarily in Kubernetes hosted in AWS’s EKS
- Infrastructure tooling includes Istio, Datadog, Terraform, CloudFlare, and Helm
- Our backend is Java / Spring Boot microservices, built with Gradle, coupled with things like DynamoDB, Pulsar, AirFlow, Postgres, Planetscale, and Redis, hosted via AWS.
- Our frontend is built with React and TypeScript, and uses best practices like GraphQL, Storybook, Radix UI, Vite, esbuild, and Playwright
You’ll get competitive perks and benefits from health & wellness to equity, to help you bring your best self to work.
For US based applicants:
- The standard base salary range for this position is $199,200 - $288,000 annually + equity + benefits
- Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location
Attentive Company Values
Default to Action - Move swiftly and with purpose
Be One Unstoppable Team - Rally as each other’s champions
Champion the Customer - Our success is defined by our customers' success
Act Like an Owner - Take responsibility for Attentive’s success
Learn more about AWAKE, Attentive’s collective of employee resource groups.
If you do not meet all the requirements listed here, we still encourage you to apply! No job description is perfect, and we may also have another opportunity that closely matches your skills and experience.
At Attentive, we know that our Company's strength lies in the diversity of our employees. Attentive is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. Our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities for all employees, applicants and covered individuals regardless of protected characteristics. We prioritize and maintain a fair, inclusive and equitable workplace free from discrimination, harassment, and retaliation.