Assistant General Manager
About Blank Street
At Blank Street, we believe great coffee should be an everyday ritual. With shops across Brooklyn, Manhattan, Boston, DC, and London, we’re the first-ever brand to offer affordable high-quality coffee.
Blank Street originated in an effort to change the specialty coffee status quo. Starting with small-format shops and continuing with a limited menu and top-of-the-line tech, we’ve always been focused on simplifying the coffee experience. We partner with amazing local vendors and brands, and have some of the best baristas and HQ members out there on our team. Love coffee? Keep reading.
As our Assistant General Manager your primary responsibility will be to support and promote the development of your employees. The development and happiness of your team will be high on your radar and you will act as their mentor, developing them and ensuring they have everything they need to succeed in their role. You will be comfortable ensuring the stores’ environment is in the best shape, working closely with our in house maintenance teams. You will set the tone for your own neighborhoods culture, finding ways to keep people feeling engaged and excited to be part of a fast growing business. You will live and breath LMS compliance and look for ways to improve company processes, always considering efficiencies and operational excellence. Lastly, you will be hungry to lead your neighborhood to sales victory, supporting your in store teams to deliver on sales goals and AOV targets.
If you are passionate about building something new from the ground-up and are motivated to continuously learn and grow in your role, Blank Street is for you.
This role reports to the neighborhood General Manager.
What you'll own:
People - Deeply care for and coach your teammates
- Support your GM and our Training Team to help train new employees to succeed at Blank Street using our world-class LMS and progression pathways, developing the talent of the future
- Ensure your teams are arriving on time and and attendance issues are supported and explored to support business needs
- Development of your teams in a timely manner, ensuring coffee accreditation are handled on time in line with company standards
- Finding creative ways to build and foster a local team culture that is unique to your neighborhood, keeping teams motivated and engaged
- Maintaining the very best eNPS scores across your neighborhoods and addressing any team moral issues in real time in a personal way to ensure the best industry retention levels
Product - Execute our product mix flawlessly
- Have a thorough understanding of what makes Blank Street’s products unique and differentiated with the ability to communicate it to customers and teammates
- Maintain coffee quality standards across your store and assist coffee trainers in ensuring recipes are up to date
Physical Space - Ensure true operational and brand excellence
- Be ahead of adverse weather planning, according to company policies
- Ensuring pest control services are followed up and any issues are mitigated to support the Store Leaders in achieving the A grades they deserve
- Supporting your Store Leaders to take care of any maintenance issues as quickly as possible so they can have the tools and environment they need to succeed day to day
Performance - Be the best at what you do
- Be a champion of your stores financial performance, finding ways to grow your store AOV, meet sales goals through creative initiatives and gain team buy in to share the same vision
- Uphold the company standard NPS scores, celebrating the positives with your teams and immediately actioning and feedback to improve
What you'll bring
- New York City Food protection certificate (DOH card)
- Multi-unit experience is a plus
- 4+ years’ experience in a customer service leadership position
- Love for coffee and customer service
- Experience working in a unionized environment is a plus
- Strong knowledge of specialty coffee, espresso and equipment is a must
- Strong decision making and multi-taking skills
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
Full Time: 45 hours per week, 5 days of availability required and must be available to work 2 peak days (usually weekend days, weekend as described as Friday, Saturday, Sunday)
- Blank Street, in good faith, believes that the posted salary range is accurate for this role in New York City at the time of posting. Our salaries are rooted in the desire to pay competitively relative to our organization size and industry, reflecting just one part of the total compensation package. Additional components include equity offering, healthcare benefits, paid time off and various work perks (commuter benefits, free coffee). Details will be discussed during the interview process. Blank Street may pay more or less than the posted range based on factors such as relevant experience and skills, qualifications and location, among others. This range may be modified in the future.
- Access to our Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Barista accreditation/training program
- Paid sick time
- Paid Time off + company holidays
- As a growing company we have opportunities for advancement for those interested
Something looks off?