Payroll Specialist (Remote)
Why join us
Brex empowers the next generation of businesses with an integrated corporate card and spend management software. We make it easy for our customers to manage every aspect of spending and empower their employees to make better financial decisions from anywhere they live or work. Brex proudly serves tens of thousands of growing businesses, from early-stage startups to enterprise leaders.
Working at Brex allows you to push your limits, challenge the status quo, and collaborate with some of the brightest minds in the industry. We’re committed to building a diverse team and inclusive culture and believe your potential should only be limited by how big you can dream. We make this a reality by empowering you with the tools, resources, and support you need to grow your career.
Payroll Team at Brex
The Payroll function resides under the Accounting team at Brex. The first responsibility of the Accounting team at Brex is to ensure we have strong and reliable financial reporting and records. At the same time, we’re also deeply passionate about automation and partner closely with the engineering and product teams to implement technological improvements to both increase quality and efficiency. The first responsibility of Payroll at Brex is to ensure that all the Company’s employees are paid timely and accurately according to the regulations of local and federal/provincial governments, and benefit providers. The scope of the Payroll function covers all employees within the US and our international subsidiaries. Additionally, a key aspect of the role is to share your knowledge and expertise with our employees and cross-functional partners when questions arise.
What you’ll do
As the Payroll Specialist at Brex, you will have a unique opportunity to continue to help shape our strategy and build our global payroll process structure. You like working in a fast-paced, cross-functional environment, take pride and ownership over your work, enjoy thinking creatively about solving problems, and can manage multiple priorities concurrently. You should have worked with different payroll systems and processes and be very comfortable working at different scales—from specific cases to thinking holistically across the company.
- Act as the primary point of contact for external payroll vendors, including Genpact, Navia, Fidelity, 401k, Canada Life, and Owen & Associates
- Collaborate with the team to pull necessary data and information for audits related to Worker's Compensation, 401k, and Corporate audits ensuring all documentation is organized and readily available for audit purposes
- Assist in reconciling cash entries related to payroll transactions, ensuring accuracy, and identifying any discrepancies
- Work closely with the Genpact team to pull backup invoices as needed, maintaining meticulous records and supporting any inquiries related to vendor payments
- Process Records of Employment (ROEs) to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and action requests from Service Canada while ensuring the timely and accurate submission of these documents
- Manage end-to-end tax-related notices, working closely with ADP to resolve tax inquiries and make any necessary adjustments. Ensure compliance with tax regulations and promptly address any issues that arise
- 3+ years of payroll processing experience
- Knowledge of North American wage and labour laws, garnishment laws, and taxes
- Associates degree or equivalent experience
- Familiarity with processing payroll on the Workday platform
- Experienced with Microsoft Office Suite, especially advanced Excel knowledge and ability to use complex formulae for data reconciliation and visualization
- Demonstrated ability to act with discretion and have exceptional integrity and judgment in handling confidential information
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills
- Exceptional attention to detail and capacity to conflicting priorities
- CPP, PCP/PLP or other payroll certifications
- Experience with expansion into new states/provinces or countries
- ADP FundDirect experience
- NetSuite experience
- Accounting and equity experience
Please be aware, job-seekers may be at risk of targeting by malicious actors looking for personal data. Brex recruiters will only reach out via LinkedIn or email with a brex.com domain. Any outreach claiming to be from Brex via other sources should be ignored.