Senior Software Engineer, Embedded
Who we are:
Motive builds technology to improve the safety, productivity, and profitability of businesses that power the physical economy. Motive combines IoT hardware with AI-powered applications to connect and automate physical operations. Motive is one of the fastest-growing software companies in the world, serving more than 120,000 businesses, across a wide range of industries including trucking and logistics, construction, oil and gas, food and beverage, field service, agriculture, passenger transit, and delivery.
Motive is built on four foundational attributes; Own It, Less but Better, Build Trust, and Unlock Potential. This has taken our company to great heights, including being recognized by Fortune for Best Workplaces, Forbes Best Startup Employers, and Comparably for our Best Global Culture, Sales Team, Leadership Team, Career Growth, and CEO for Diversity. We’re proud to receive an employee net promoter score of 63 (according to Comparably) which places Motive in the top 5% of companies with 4,000 employees or more.
Today, our team is made up of more than 3,000 employees, located across the world, providing support to a wide range of customers. While most of our employees are remote, many have the opportunity to work on-site at any of our 8 global office locations. Visit our careers website to learn more about opportunities at Motive.
About the Role:
As a Firmware Engineering Lead, you will be a key member of the hardware team leading an embedded project from concept to launch. Both an exceptional technical engineer as well as a leader, you are able to architect, execute, and test complex embedded systems on a range of platforms from bare metal, RTOS, and Linux.
This role will collaborate cross-functionally on design and architecture of the firmware, hardware and software in the system as well as plan and drive the project to product launch. This person has experience with test driven development, manufacturing process, writing technical documentation, and shipping high volume and high quality products.
What You’ll Do:
- Design and development of high performance firmware and software for cutting-edge embedded platforms and cameras.
- Debug, optimize, and validate firmware on complex embedded multi-core architectures.
- Work collaboratively with cross-functional teams from concept to production on ground-breaking connected hardware projects.
What We’re Looking For:
- 7+ years of experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or equivalent experience
- Experience leading a project from concept phase through product launch
- Strong programming experience and demonstrated proficiency in C/C++ for embedded systems, including development of algorithms, manipulation of complex data structures, and implementing highly optimized code
- Consumer electronics experience or familiarity with 3-4 or relevant technologies: mutli-core ARM processors, GPUs, WiFi/BT, cameras.
- Familiarity with ARM or equivalent embedded multi-core microprocessor architectures is required
- Strong understanding of operating systems concepts such as thread scheduling, context switching and memory management is required.
- Ability to understand hardware design and schematics.
- Prior experience with overseeing board bring-up and validation
Your compensation may be based on several factors, including education, work experience, and certifications. For certain roles, total compensation may include restricted stock units. Motive offers benefits including health, pharmacy, optical and dental care benefits, paid time off, sick time off, short term and long term disability coverage, life insurance as well as 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). Learn more about our benefits by visiting Motive Perks & Benefits.
The compensation range for this position will depend on where you reside. Motive uses three geographic zones to determine pay range. For this role, the compensation ranges are:
Creating a diverse and inclusive workplace is one of Motive's core values. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.
Please review our Candidate Privacy Notice here.
The applicant must be authorized to receive and access those commodities and technologies controlled under U.S. Export Administration Regulations. It is Motive's policy to require that employees be authorized to receive access to Motive products and technology.