Software Engineer, DevOps
Who we are:
Motive builds technology to improve the safety, productivity, and profitability of businesses that power the physical economy. Motive combines IoT hardware with AI-powered applications to connect and automate physical operations. Motive is one of the fastest-growing software companies in the world, serving more than 120,000 businesses, across a wide range of industries including trucking and logistics, construction, oil and gas, food and beverage, field service, agriculture, passenger transit, and delivery.
Motive is built on four foundational attributes; Own It, Less but Better, Build Trust, and Unlock Potential. This has taken our company to great heights, including being recognized by Fortune for Best Workplaces, Forbes Best Startup Employers, and Comparably for our Best Global Culture, Sales Team, Leadership Team, Career Growth, and CEO for Diversity. We’re proud to receive an employee net promoter score of 63 (according to Comparably) which places Motive in the top 5% of companies with 4,000 employees or more.
Today, our team is made up of more than 3,000 employees, located across the world, providing support to a wide range of customers. While most of our employees are remote, many have the opportunity to work on-site at any of our 8 global office locations. Visit our careers website to learn more about opportunities at Motive.
About the Role:
As a Senior Engineer on the Developer Productivity team, you will spearhead the effort to build systems and automation that are the development, build, and delivery backbone of the Motive platform across SaaS, Mobile, and Embedded/IoT products. With a focus on secure and highly scalable distributed services, you will leverage technology such as Kubernetes, ArgoCD, ProwCI, Tekton, Bazel, and whatever the future may hold to advance an automated and easy to use and maintain ecosystem to support Golang, Ruby on Rails, and Python services (as well as Kotlin and C for our Mobile and Embedded friends!). If creating direction for and implementing top-tier development tools, automation, infrastructure, and release pipelines, while providing guidance and mentorship to fellow engineers excites you, then Motive has the perfect role for you.
What You’ll Do:
- Help define the direction and initiatives for the team and platform.
- Strategize and build fully automated bootstrapping and delivery pipelines.
- Progress and evangelize self-service engineering technologies and approaches.
- Advance the local development experience while maintaining consistency.
- Build self-healing infrastructure that enables fast, robust automated testing.
- Improve the performance and reliability of existing systems.
- Host Brown Bag sessions, demos, and more to drive adoption and collaboration.
- Coach and mentor team engineers and collaborate on designs.
What We’re Looking For:
We are looking for someone with advanced knowledge and experience in creating and improving systems that will help the engineering org to function more efficiently. This individual will have prior experience in some or all of the following:
- Building CI/CD infrastructure with multiple pipeline solutions over the years ( such as Tekton, Prow, CircleCI, Jenkins, Spinnaker, Github Actions, etc.)
- Improving the SDLC release process.
- Streamlining microservice creation mechanisms.
- Streamlining developer's local environments (Ansible, local kubernetes, etc.)
- Git flow and versioning strategy expertise.
- Working with mechanisms that facilitate reproducible builds across the org.
- Experience improving the developer experience with multiple stakeholders in a large organization.
- Experience in Golang, Ruby on Rails, Python or similar languages.
- Working knowledge of AWS services and technologies.
- Experience with infrastructure as code and configuration management (Terraform, Ansible, Helm, etc.)
- Experience with large scale distributed release management processes. Experience with Bazel is a plus.
- Experience in a containerized world with orchestration frameworks such as Kubernetes.
- 5+ years engineering experience
Bonus Skills to have
- Experience with Gerrit and Android OS (AOSP) build systems
- Experience with embedded systems builds and compiles
Your compensation may be based on several factors, including education, work experience, and certifications. For certain roles, total compensation may include restricted stock units. Motive offers benefits including health, pharmacy, optical and dental care benefits, paid time off, sick time off, short term and long term disability coverage, life insurance as well as 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). Learn more about our benefits by visiting Motive Perks & Benefits.
The compensation range for this position will depend on where you reside. Motive uses three geographic zones to determine pay range. For this role, the compensation ranges are:
Creating a diverse and inclusive workplace is one of Motive's core values. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.
Please review our Candidate Privacy Notice here.
The applicant must be authorized to receive and access those commodities and technologies controlled under U.S. Export Administration Regulations. It is Motive's policy to require that employees be authorized to receive access to Motive products and technology.