Software Engineer, DevOps
Who we are:
Motive builds technology to improve the safety, productivity, and profitability of businesses that power the physical economy. Motive combines IoT hardware with AI-powered applications to connect and automate physical operations. Motive is one of the fastest-growing software companies in the world, serving more than 120,000 businesses, across a wide range of industries including trucking and logistics, construction, oil and gas, food and beverage, field service, agriculture, passenger transit, and delivery.
Motive is built on four foundational attributes; Own It, Less but Better, Build Trust, and Unlock Potential. This has taken our company to great heights, including being recognized by Fortune for Best Workplaces, Forbes Best Startup Employers, and Comparably for our Best Global Culture, Sales Team, Leadership Team, Career Growth, and CEO for Diversity. We’re proud to receive an employee net promoter score of 63 (according to Comparably) which places Motive in the top 5% of companies with 4,000 employees or more.
Today, our team is made up of more than 3,000 employees, located across the world, providing support to a wide range of customers. While most of our employees are remote, many have the opportunity to work on-site at any of our 8 global office locations. Visit our careers website to learn more about opportunities at Motive.
About the Role
As a Software Engineer on the Developer Productivity team, you will lead the effort to build systems that enable teams to deliver secure, highly scalable, distributed services. You will leverage technology such as Kubernetes, Bazel, Nix, Golang, and Ruby on Rails to build automated systems, infrastructure, and release pipelines as well as the distributed systems themselves.
What You’ll Do
- Define and prioritize Developer Productivity initiatives.
- Enable teams to build features at scale by providing a foundation of reusable software components and infrastructure.
- Become one of the subject matter experts on the team.
- Create deployment pipelines; take code from git to production.
- Build infrastructure that enables fast, robust automated testing and validation.
- Improve the performance and reliability of existing systems.
What We’re Looking For
We are looking for someone with specific experience in creating and improving systems that will help the engineering org to function more efficiently. This individual will have prior experience in some or all of the following:
- Building CI/CD infrastructure.
- Improving the release process.
- Streamlining microservice creation mechanisms.
- Streamlining developer's local environments.
- Working with mechanisms that facilitate reproducible builds across the org.
- Practicing and advocating for best engineering practices throughout the org.
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science or a related field
- 3+ years software development experience
- Experience improving the developer experience with multiple stakeholders in a large organization.
- Experience in Golang, Ruby on Rails, Python or similar language.
- Working knowledge of AWS services and technologies.
- Experience with infrastructure as code and configuration management (Terraform, Nix, Ansible, CloudFormation, etc...)
- Experience with large scale distributed release management processes. Experience with Bazel is a plus.
- Experience with container orchestration frameworks such as Kubernetes, Docker Swarm.
Creating a diverse and inclusive workplace is one of Motive's core values. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.
Please review our Candidate Privacy Notice here.
The applicant must be authorized to receive and access those commodities and technologies controlled under U.S. Export Administration Regulations. It is Motive's policy to require that employees be authorized to receive access to Motive products and technology.