Lead Technical Support Engineer
Who we are:
Motive builds technology to improve the safety, productivity, and profitability of businesses that power the physical economy. Motive combines IoT hardware with AI-powered applications to connect and automate physical operations. Motive is one of the fastest-growing software companies in the world, serving more than 120,000 businesses, across a wide range of industries including trucking and logistics, construction, oil and gas, food and beverage, field service, agriculture, passenger transit, and delivery.
Motive is built on four foundational attributes; Own It, Less but Better, Build Trust, and Unlock Potential. This has taken our company to great heights, including being recognized by Fortune for Best Workplaces, Forbes Best Startup Employers, and Comparably for our Best Global Culture, Sales Team, Leadership Team, Career Growth, and CEO for Diversity. We’re proud to receive an employee net promoter score of 63 (according to Comparably) which places Motive in the top 5% of companies with 4,000 employees or more.
Today, our team is made up of more than 3,000 employees, located across the world, providing support to a wide range of customers. While most of our employees are remote, many have the opportunity to work on-site at any of our 8 global office locations. Visit our careers website to learn more about opportunities at Motive.
About the Role:
The Lead Technical Support Engineer - Advanced Troubleshooting role is a senior subject matter expert responsible for providing complex technical support for a range of products and services. As an L4 support engineer, the Lead Technical Support Engineer is the go-to individual for troubleshooting complex issues or product-level bugs that cannot be resolved by Technical Support Engineers.
In addition to managing, tracking, diagnosing, and troubleshooting high-level cases for Technical Support Engineers, the Lead Technical Support Engineer also provides leadership to the technical support team. This includes mentoring, training, and coaching other technical support engineers, helping them to develop their skills and expertise. One of the key responsibilities of the Lead Technical Support Engineer is to collaborate with engineering teams across the company, including product development, quality assurance, and Backend teams, to identify and address technical issues that are affecting customers.
The Lead Technical Support Engineer is also responsible for driving continuous improvement in the technical support process. This includes identifying and analyzing trends in customer issues, creating and implementing new support processes and procedures, and working closely with the Technical Lead to ensure that technical support is aligned with the company's overall strategy and goals.
What You'll Do:
- Must have a deep understanding of the product, be able to analyze and diagnose complex issues, and provide solutions that minimize user disruption.
- Identify and resolve complex technical issues as well as product-level limitations that cannot be resolved by Technical support engineers.
- Responsible for creating and maintaining technical documentation for internal and external use. They must ensure that documentation is up-to-date, accurate, and easy to understand.
- Work closely with cross-department teams, such as product development, quality assurance, and backend engineering teams, to identify and address technical issues that are affecting customers.
- Must have excellent communication and collaboration skills to work effectively with different teams.
- Provide leadership and mentoring to Technical Support Engineers. They must share their knowledge and expertise to help other team members improve their technical skills.
- Responsible for identifying opportunities for process improvement and driving changes to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of technical support. They must have a continuous improvement mindset and be able to work collaboratively with different teams to implement process changes.
- Required to participate in on-call support rotations to provide 24/7 support to incoming escalations during business hours as well as after hours. They must be available to respond to urgent support requests and be able to resolve issues in a timely manner.
What We're Looking For:
- Minimum 3-year tenure in Technical Support | Customer Support
- Respond to customer inquiries and issues: Provide timely and accurate responses to customer inquiries and issues via phone, email, or chat.
- Diagnose and troubleshoot technical issues: Use technical knowledge and analytical skills to diagnose and troubleshoot technical issues. Identify root causes of problems and develop effective solutions to address them.
- Escalate issues as needed: When an issue cannot be resolved at the Technical Support level, escalate the issue to the appropriate team or personnel. Provide detailed information about the issue and steps taken to resolve it.
- Document technical issues and solutions: Maintain detailed records of customer inquiries, issues, and solutions in a ticketing system or other databases. Ensure that information is accurate, up-to-date, and easily accessible to other team members.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams: Work closely with other teams, such as Tier 1 support, engineering, and product management, to resolve complex issues and improve customer support processes.
- Contribute to knowledge management: Develop and update knowledge base articles, FAQs, and other support materials to help customers resolve common issues independently.
- Provide excellent customer service: Maintain a positive and professional attitude while providing customer support. Strive to exceed customer expectations and provide a high level of customer satisfaction.
- Participate in on-call rotation: Be available to provide technical support during off-hours, weekends, and holidays as part of an on-call rotation schedule.
- These responsibilities require excellent communication and problem-solving skills, technical knowledge and analytical skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work well in a team-oriented environment.
Creating a diverse and inclusive workplace is one of Motive's core values. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.
Please review our Candidate Privacy Notice here.
The applicant must be authorized to receive and access those commodities and technologies controlled under U.S. Export Administration Regulations. It is Motive's policy to require that employees be authorized to receive access to Motive products and technology.