Business Control Officer (BCO) - Mexico
Nu was born in 2013 with the mission to fight complexity to empower people in their daily lives by reinventing financial services. We are one of the world’s largest digital banking platforms, serving millions of customers across Brazil, Mexico, and Colombia. For more information, visit our institutional page.
About The Team
As Nu continues its global expansion and continues innovating, the internal controls landscape becomes increasingly complex. Nu has developed a strong Risk structure, which supports and guides the business in delivering on their current objectives. To protect the company, we created a new domain within the Product Chapter: the Business Control Office.
About the role
The BCO will use their business and risk knowledge coupled to a hands-on approach. They will both support and own some of the risk activities needed in the business. They will also work with the teams to mitigate identified risks accordingly while establishing themselves as the subject matter expert within the assigned Business area.
As BCO you will:
- Support/coordinate the business in managing and fulfilling its First Line Risk Management activities
- Proactively identify risk areas and tackle relevant remediation activities
- Create appropriate governance to facilitate the implementation, execution and monitoring of controls
- Define and rate the risk environment
- Challenge the design and implementation of controls, implement and own relevant new controls
- Create appropriate reports for the leadership team to understand the full spectrum of risks
- Add a risk lens to strategy and product development
- Drive and complete documentation activities to minimize single point sensitivities
- Conduct process mapping
- Coordinate audit and inspections actions and review/challenge both audit and the business
- High level of Independence
- Hands-on and take ownership where possible
- Great communication skills (concise and clear) English and Spanish
- Product and/or Risk knowledge
- Strong knowledge and experience with the Mexico Sofipo regulatory environment
- Ability to build strong relationships with all levels of the organization
- Quick learner
- Wants to improve and challenge the status quo
- Ability to challenge & prioritize
It will be a differential if you..
Have previous experience in Compliance & AML or Legal
Have previous experience in Consulting
Have Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Law, or related.
Have knowledge in CNBV regulation
Can easily turn numbers into complex strategies and effective actions
- Chance of earning equity at Nu
- Extended maternity and paternity leaves
- Health and life insurance
- NuCare - Our mental health and wellness assistance program
- Nucleo - Our learning platform of courses
- NuLanguage - Our language learning program
- Holiday Bonus ("Aguinaldo") of 30 days of pay per year
- 17 days of paid vacation with 25% vacation bonus
- Gym partnership
Our Nu Way of Working
Our work model is hybrid and has cycles that can be from two to three months according to the business of expertise. For every eight or twelve weeks of remote work, one will be at the office (Mexico City, Mexico).
Diversity & Inclusion
At Nu, we want to be sure that we're building a more diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the customers we serve and seek to empower. That's why we hire based on equality. We consider gender, ethnicity, race, religion, sexual orientation, and other identity markers as enriching elements to our company while ensuring neither of them represent a barrier when recruiting fantastic talent.