Senior Payroll Specialist (Spain)
✨ One platform, a whole world of opportunity
Right now, the best jobs are limited to people in a handful of the world’s wealthiest cities, yet brilliant people are everywhere. Driven to overturn the status quo and distribute opportunities equally around the world, Oyster launched its global employment platform to help companies hire, pay, and care for talent anywhere.
When it comes to global employment, we walk the walk. We’re proof that companies don't need an office to create a highly-engaged culture. Since the company’s inception in January 2020, Oyster has:
Our momentum speaks to the power of global employment—and we’re just getting started! If you want to change the world with Oyster and be empowered to work remotely while doing so, we’d love for you to apply!
👩💻 The Role
Location: While this position is posted in a specific location, all of Oyster’s positions are fully remote and you can work from home. Forever. The person in this role would ideally be located within UTC -03:00 to +3:00.
What you'll do...
- Work on a team of global payroll specialists across multiple time zones and 30+ countries
- Maintain professional knowledge of all Spain payroll legislative changes
- Correspondence w/ local accountants and external vendors, while maintaining a professional relationship
- Work closely with HR team members to manage enhancements to processes and legislation
- Regularly create and reconcile key payroll reports including gross-to-net reports, payroll control summaries, employer cost summaries by payroll component, payslips, and payment file reports
- Review and approve payroll activities & payments when needed
- Lead/Mentor other global payroll specialists across multiple time zones
- Formatting & manipulation of payroll file uploads to Vendors and software (NetSuite, Alteryx, etc)
- Creating & maintaining payroll procedures & processes
- Ensure 100% of team members are paid timely!
- Conducting pre-payroll audits, checks and approvals for your payroll
What we are looking for...
- 6-10 years of Spanish payroll experience, including country-specific taxation and compliance (eg. with regards to taxation of benefits, expenses, etc,) and regulatory payroll filing requirements
- Experience with Local HR requirements, including specific onboarding & termination requirements
- Advanced proficiency of Microsoft Excel/Google sheets ie: csv files, vlookups, pivot tables, index match and macros
- Payroll operations experience including working with in-house payroll processes, EORs, and PEOs
- Payroll reporting experience including exposure to gross-to-net reports, payroll control summaries, employer cost summaries by payroll component, payslips, and payment file reports
- Adherence to tight deadlines and quick turnaround for payroll deliverables
- Experience working cross-functionally with finance, accounting and treasury departments
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from management, vendors, and associates in a timely manner to ensure we are maintaining/exceeding company metrics/OKRs
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to develop and maintain an organized structure
- Ability to work collaboratively in a distributed environment where adaptability is imperative, across many tools and software platforms
- [Bonus] Previous experience leading or mentoring a team across multiple time zones
- [Bonus] Experience with pensions, retirements plans and local benefits
[Bonus] Fintech start-up experience
- [Bonus] NetSuite & Alteryx experience
You'll also need...
- A reliable home internet connection (or be able to get one)
- Fluent English language skills
🦪 How we work together at Oyster
Our values guide the work we do, the decisions we make, and the culture that makes us special. We elevate talent. 🙌 We build trust. 🤝 We thrive together. 🌍
Our mission is to create a more equal world—one global hire at a time. Everything we do ladders up to our mission—and that doesn’t just mean building software. We develop programs, participate in workshops, and create dedicated teams to ensure we successfully support companies and knowledge workers in this new world of work.
We embrace asynchronous communication and collaborative work—and we share how we work in the Oyster Public HQ —to help other global teams learn from our experiences.
💌 How YOU work
Different countries have different statutory benefits, different cultures have different norms, and different people have different needs! In order to best support and encourage our diverse team, we’ve created How YOU Work; a program of policies, practices, and perks to support your whole human experience as an employee at Oyster.
- Work from anywhere: Oyster is a borderless, HQ-less company. As long as your work gets done on time, your team has the support they need, and you're authorized to work where you live, the world is truly your Oyster.
- Paid time off: We’re all about taking breaks—we all need it. Oyster provides employees with 40 days off each year, which includes public/bank holidays and vacation/holiday leave (unless your country mandates more).
- Mental health support: We consider your mental health a top priority. We offer access to Plumm, a mental well-being service, to support your mental health.
- Wellbeing allowance: Each month, Oyster will top up your Juno wallet with a wellbeing allowance. Juno Points can be applied to anything that helps you show up to work as your best self, whether that’s your internet bill, a class, gym membership, or houseplants. The choices are endless!
- Flexible parental leave: Families are created in lots of different ways. Our parental leave policy applies to all employees who are becoming parents, regardless of how they become a parent. Oysters are eligible for a minimum of three months of paid parental leave and your job will be held for 12 months (or longer if required by local jurisdiction).
- WFH stipend: $3000 stipend to spend on your laptop and any other equipment you need for your home office; we'll get you up and running in no time!
✨ The best jobs should be available to everyone
At Oyster, we celebrate a variety of perspectives and experiences and we’ve intentionally built our product and our company with an inclusive, global mindset. We know from experience that people from underrepresented groups often don’t apply for roles they don’t feel they meet all the criteria for. We’re committed to elevating talent by creating a trust-based environment where we can all thrive together. So if you think you have what it takes, but don’t necessarily check every single box, please consider applying. We’d love to hear how you might contribute to our mission and our team.
Oyster is committed to ensuring equal opportunity of employment for qualified persons with disabilities and actively fosters an inclusive work environment. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Interview Accommodations if you require any reasonable accommodations throughout the recruiting process.