✨ One platform, a whole world of opportunity
Right now, the best jobs are limited to people in a handful of the world’s wealthiest cities, yet brilliant people are everywhere. Driven to overturn the status quo and distribute opportunities equally around the world, Oyster launched its global employment platform to help companies hire, pay, and care for talent anywhere.
When it comes to global employment, we walk the walk. We’re proof that companies don't need an office to create a highly-engaged culture. Since the company’s inception in January 2020, Oyster has:
Our momentum speaks to the power of global employment—and we’re just getting started! If you want to change the world with Oyster and be empowered to work remotely while doing so, we’d love for you to apply!
The Role 👩💻
Location: While this position is posted in a specific location, all of Oyster’s positions are fully remote and you can work from home. Forever. To create the best experience for our new hire (you?!) this role does require that you are based within +5 / +2 UTC.
What you'll do…
Oyster is looking for a Litigation Counsel to contribute to Oyster's growth to become the world leader in global distributed working. Reporting to the Senior Managing Counsel, your responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, managing legal claims and/or disputes (both commercial and employment-related claims) in conjunction with outside counsel; advising internal stakeholders regarding collections efforts, employment law disputes, and a variety of legal issues; building claims management procedures and protocols; and supporting cross-functional teams in building a scalable, marketable, and successful technology platform. This role will straddle the commercial and employment aspects of Oyster’s business, so the ability to understand the intersection of both in Oyster’s model is key. The role will require that you bring a balanced and practical lens to everything you do. You will need to be flexible, think on your feet and outside-the-box. We are looking for someone who is a strong communicator and who is willing to work as a true collaborator with a team that is focused on succeeding together to deliver a common goal.
What we're looking for 📜
- Juris Doctorate or other qualified lawyer with at least 4-6 years experience as a fully licensed, practicing attorney
- In-depth knowledge of, and experience in commercial and/or employment law
- General litigation and/or other claims-handling knowledge and experience
- Experience advising clients and filing legal pleadings in English
- Experience in corporate advisory and analysis of commercial agreements
- Significant experience advising a US parent company with global subsidiaries
- Experience advising on or dealing with global legal issues
- Capable of explaining complex legal theory, terminology, and issues in easy-to-understand language
- A passion for and experience in tackling and solving difficult and varied legal issues
- Excellent analytical, communication, and research skills
- Understands Oyster’s goals and is willing and able to apply a practical and commercial lens to legal problems in order to solve issues and achieve results
- A strong communicator who works for not only their own success, but the success of the team.
- Can do a lot with minimal resources and supervision
- Positive attitude and ability to work in a fast-paced, high-output, team-oriented, practical environment
- Demonstrates the ability to learn new things, work on a variety of issues and work under pressure in order to add value to the company
- Courteous, flexible, highly organized, competent, reliable, proactive, and uses independent judgment
- A good sense of humor and willingness to assist others no matter how small the task
- Be competent. Be unquestionably ethical. Have humility. Work hard. Celebrate wins.
- Experience with remote work
- [BONUS] Prior experience in a corporate legal department
- [BONUS] Prior experience working with tech or SaaS companies
You'll also need...
- A reliable home internet connection (or be able to get one)
- Fluent English language
🦪 How we work together at Oyster
Our values guide the work we do, the decisions we make, and the culture that makes us special. We elevate talent. 🙌 We build trust. 🤝 We thrive together. 🌍
Our mission is to create a more equal world—one global hire at a time. Everything we do ladders up to our mission—and that doesn’t just mean building software. We develop programs, participate in workshops, and create dedicated teams to ensure we successfully support companies and knowledge workers in this new world of work.
We embrace asynchronous communication and collaborative work—and we share how we work in the Oyster Public HQ —to help other global teams learn from our experiences.
💌 How YOU work
Different countries have different statutory benefits, different cultures have different norms, and different people have different needs! In order to best support and encourage our diverse team, we’ve created How YOU Work; a program of policies, practices, and perks to support your whole human experience as an employee at Oyster.
- Work from anywhere: Oyster is a borderless, HQ-less company. As long as your work gets done on time, your team has the support they need, and you're authorized to work where you live, the world is truly your Oyster.
- Paid time off: We’re all about taking breaks—we all need it. Oyster provides employees with 40 days off each year, which includes public/bank holidays and vacation/holiday leave (unless your country mandates more).
- Mental health support: We consider your mental health a top priority. We offer access to Plumm, a mental well-being service, to support your mental health.
- Wellbeing allowance: Each month, Oyster will top up your Juno wallet with a wellbeing allowance. Juno Points can be applied to anything that helps you show up to work as your best self, whether that’s your internet bill, a class, gym membership, or houseplants. The choices are endless!
- Flexible parental leave: Families are created in lots of different ways. Our parental leave policy applies to all employees who are becoming parents, regardless of how they become a parent. Oysters are eligible for a minimum of three months of paid parental leave and your job will be held for 12 months (or longer if required by local jurisdiction).
- WFH stipend: $3000 stipend to spend on your laptop and any other equipment you need for your home office; we'll get you up and running in no time!
✨ The best jobs should be available to everyone
At Oyster, we celebrate a variety of perspectives and experiences and we’ve intentionally built our product and our company with an inclusive, global mindset. We know from experience that people from underrepresented groups often don’t apply for roles they don’t feel they meet all the criteria for. We’re committed to elevating talent by creating a trust-based environment where we can all thrive together. So if you think you have what it takes, but don’t necessarily check every single box, please consider applying. We’d love to hear how you might contribute to our mission and our team.
Our available positions are published on our careers page and should you be invited to interview with us, our recruitment team will only ever contact you directly from an @oysterhr.com email address. If you receive a suspicious email relating to opportunities at Oyster from any other email domain, where someone is claiming to be a part of our recruitment team, we encourage you to submit a report through our Compliance and Ethics Helpline.