Director of Compliance
✨ One platform, a whole world of opportunity
Right now, the best jobs are limited to people in a handful of the world’s wealthiest cities, yet brilliant people are everywhere. Driven to overturn the status quo and distribute opportunities equally around the world, Oyster launched its global employment platform to help companies hire, pay, and care for talent anywhere.
When it comes to global employment, we walk the walk. We’re proof that companies don't need an office to create a highly-engaged culture. Since the company’s inception in January 2020, Oyster has:
Our momentum speaks to the power of global employment—and we’re just getting started! If you want to change the world with Oyster and be empowered to work remotely while doing so, we’d love for you to apply!
The Role 👩💻
Location: While this position is posted in a specific location, all of Oyster’s positions are fully remote and you can work from home. Forever. To create the best experience for our new hire (you?!) this role does require that you are based within +2 / -6 UTC.
What you'll do…
Oyster is looking for a Director of Compliance to contribute to Oyster's growth to becoming the world leader in global distributed working. This role will focus on Oyster's internal operations to guarantee that our business processes and transactions follow all relevant legal and internal guidelines. One of Oyster’s pillars is ensuring that it operates in ethically and compliantly across the globe, meeting the operational requirements set out by all governing bodies, and thus reassuring our customers and partners that Oyster is truly a leader in our industry. The successful candidate will lead a team of compliance analysts, work with partners across the organization (both within and outside of Legal) to make sure reasonable and appropriate measures are in place to maintain ethical and compliant business operations, and provide guidance and recommendations to Executive Team Members on compliance issues. Reporting to the General Counsel, your responsibilities will include some of the following:
- Day-to-Day Management of Oyster’s compliance program, including management of the compliance team
- Development and implementation company policies in collaboration with other Oyster teams.
- Analytics experience and ability to incorporate compliance monitoring in existing business processes
- Advise management on Oyster’s compliance with laws and regulation.
- Responsible for Oyster’s SOC and BCorp compliance efforts, which includes ongoing monitoring of control environments, evolving reporting and oversight to match organizational expansion
- Create and manage effective action plans in response to audit discoveries and compliance violations.
- Regularly audit company procedures, practices, and documents to identify possible weaknesses or risks.
- Assess company operations to determine compliance risk and work cross-functionally to mitigate same
- Respond to requests for information related to Oyster’s compliance obligations.
- Other duties as assigned.
What we're looking for
- Bachelor’s degree in law, finance, business manager, or Juris Doctorate
- 5 years’ proven experience in a compliance officer role
- 2+ years of people management experience
- SOC I and SOC II experience preferred
- Prior experience in an international company, or dealing with international rules, a plus
- Capable of explaining complex compliance regulations, terminology and issues in easy-to-understand language for digestion by Oyster Team Members
- Excellent analytical and communication skills
- A strong communicator who works for not only their own success, but the success of the team.
- Can do a lot with minimal resources and supervision
- Positive attitude and ability to work in a fast-paced, high-output, team-oriented, practical environment
- Demonstrates the ability to learn new things, work on a variety of issues and work under pressure in order to add value to the company
- Courteous, flexible, highly organized, competent, reliable, proactive, and uses independent judgment
- A good sense of humor and willingness to assist others no matter how small the task
- Be competent. Be unquestionably ethical. Have humility. Work hard. Celebrate wins.
- Experience with remote work
- Experience building relationships across the organization and managing full cycle of compliance projects which includes obtaining key stakeholder buy ins.
- [BONUS] Prior experience with multi-national companies
- [BONUS] Prior experience in a corporate legal department
- [BONUS] Prior experience working with tech or SaaS companies
- [BONUS] Experience with a Contract Lifecycle Management system a plus
- [BONUS] Familiarity with Notion and Asana, Project Management Principles, Audit or compliance certifications.
You'll also need...
- A reliable home internet connection (or be able to get one)
- Fluent English language
🦪 How we work together at Oyster
Our values guide the work we do, the decisions we make, and the culture that makes us special. We elevate talent. 🙌 We build trust. 🤝 We thrive together. 🌍
Our mission is to create a more equal world—one global hire at a time. Everything we do ladders up to our mission—and that doesn’t just mean building software. We develop programs, participate in workshops, and create dedicated teams to ensure we successfully support companies and knowledge workers in this new world of work.
We embrace asynchronous communication and collaborative work—and we share how we work in the Oyster Public HQ —to help other global teams learn from our experiences.
💌 How YOU work
Different countries have different statutory benefits, different cultures have different norms, and different people have different needs! In order to best support and encourage our diverse team, we’ve created How YOU Work; a program of policies, practices, and perks to support your whole human experience as an employee at Oyster.
- Work from anywhere: Oyster is a borderless, HQ-less company. As long as your work gets done on time, your team has the support they need, and you're authorized to work where you live, the world is truly your Oyster.
- Paid time off: We’re all about taking breaks—we all need it. Oyster provides employees with 40 days off each year, which includes public/bank holidays and vacation/holiday leave (unless your country mandates more).
- Mental health support: We consider your mental health a top priority. We offer access to Plumm, a mental well-being service, to support your mental health.
- Wellbeing allowance: Each month, Oyster will top up your Juno wallet with a wellbeing allowance. Juno Points can be applied to anything that helps you show up to work as your best self, whether that’s your internet bill, a class, gym membership, or houseplants. The choices are endless!
- Flexible parental leave: Families are created in lots of different ways. Our parental leave policy applies to all employees who are becoming parents, regardless of how they become a parent. Oysters are eligible for a minimum of three months of paid parental leave and your job will be held for 12 months (or longer if required by local jurisdiction).
- WFH stipend: $3000 stipend to spend on your laptop and any other equipment you need for your home office; we'll get you up and running in no time!
✨ The best jobs should be available to everyone
At Oyster, we celebrate a variety of perspectives and experiences and we’ve intentionally built our product and our company with an inclusive, global mindset. We know from experience that people from underrepresented groups often don’t apply for roles they don’t feel they meet all the criteria for. We’re committed to elevating talent by creating a trust-based environment where we can all thrive together. So if you think you have what it takes, but don’t necessarily check every single box, please consider applying. We’d love to hear how you might contribute to our mission and our team.
Our available positions are published on our careers page and should you be invited to interview with us, our recruitment team will only ever contact you directly from an @oysterhr.com email address. If you receive a suspicious email relating to opportunities at Oyster from any other email domain, where someone is claiming to be a part of our recruitment team, we encourage you to submit a report through our Compliance and Ethics Helpline.