At Shipwell, we empower supply chain efficiency and service effectiveness at scale. The Shipwell platform includes capabilities previously out of most shippers' technical reach and affordability today. Our solution combines everything shippers need, from transportation management and visibility to procurement, in a comprehensive, easy-to-use platform. It will adapt and scale as market and business demand change, allowing shippers to operate, manage, and optimize the shipping process seamlessly. Industry experts have recognized Shipwell's traction in the market and have differentiated Shipwell as a leader in the logistics industry. Awards include Gartner Magic Quadrant for TMS 2023, 2022, 2021, Food Logistics’ 2022 Top Software & Technology Providers, and FreightWaves’ FreightTech 2022 and 2021 Awards for Innovation and Disruption in Freight Industry. Shipwell was also named the fourth fastest-growing company in North America on the 2021, 2022, and 2023 Deloitte Technology Fast 500 and Forbes 2020 Next Billion-Dollar Startup.
Shipwell is a fast-paced, high-energy start-up that strives to build the future of shipping every day. Diversity of thought and cross-department collaboration is very important to us. We deliver open, honest, careful communication and work as hard as we play. We create & deliver solutions that are revolutionizing the industry, which brings excitement and purpose to our work. If you are looking for a place that will help you tap into your best work-sel and give you hands-on experience building something big, then we invite you to come and build the future of shipping with us!
About the Role
As an integral member of our team, the Engineering Manager will play a pivotal role in the end-to-end development of features, encompassing requirements clarification, solution design, coding, and meticulous testing. This position holds the responsibility of setting and communicating the technical direction of the team, fostering mentorship and growth, removing roadblocks, and ensuring effective communication with stakeholders.
What you’ll do when you get here:
- Lead, coach and support a highly effective team of passionate engineers to foster a high-performance culture.
- Recruit world‐class engineering talent and participate in the recruiting flow including attracting, screening, and closing high caliber candidates.
- Build trusting relationships and collaborate cross-departmentally to execute on company strategy.
- Set the technical direction for the team, drive the evolution of the systems architecture, and make appropriate technology choices.
- Manage the delivery of software using Agile best practices including continuous deployment, continuous integration, and test-driven development.
- Take a hands-on approach to the entire software development lifecycle: perform day-‐to-‐day project management to ensure successful, on-‐time releases; demonstrate ownership and accountability for the team’s delivery.
- Work effectively with product managers, engineers, and the engineering leadership team to allocate engineering resources appropriately across various projects, including balancing customer needs with longer-term product roadmap needs.
- Implement processes and metrics to ensure that the team is extremely efficient and focused and that products are market-ready.
- Enable a culture of creativity, collaboration, speed, innovation, and excellence while continuously elevating the quality and caliber of our engineering organization.
- Create a productive work environment, and keep the team focused and fulfilled.
- Ensure the team fully understands the goals and objectives of Shipwell as a company and how their work fits into the bigger picture.
What you need to have:
- 5+ years of production experience in Software Development.
- 2+ years of experience in managing and leading a technical team.
- Proficiency in relational databases (e.g., PostgreSQL, MySQL) and NoSQL databases (e.g., MongoDB).
- Expertise in Object-Oriented Design and Programming.
What is Preferred:
- BS, MS, or Ph.D. in Computer Science or related technical discipline
- Proven experience leading engineering teams during the evolution of the Engineering function from start-‐up to the mid lifecycle.
- Demonstrated track record of successfully hiring, managing, coaching and retaining world-class engineers.
- Software development experience building ASP, enterprise SaaS, cloud-based solutions, or consumer web platforms supporting millions of users and billions of online transactions per month.
- Demonstrated experience leading the design, development, delivery, and maintenance of large scale and high-performance platforms, including online web and data/analytics processing.
- Recent experience using Agile methodologies.
- Knowledge of release management and deployment workflow processes, from development release through staging and production deployment.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with a proven ability to build productive cross-departmental relationships and motivate team members. Must have a positive, can-do attitude and value collaboration.
- Enjoy working remotely with the added perk of a home office reimbursement
- Unlimited Paid Time Off (PTO)
- A robust healthcare package that includes medical, dental & vision benefits, short-term and long-term disability, AD&S coverage, and flexible/health savings accounts
- 40K program where Shipwell matches up to 4%
- A yearly learning and development budget
- Subsidized internet, cell phone, fitness, and educational reimbursements
- Virtual team-building events where fun and connection take center stage
- Join a vibrant, inclusive workplace shaped by friendly, talented individuals
- Receive a technology package including a MacBook Pro
- Employee Recognition Program to celebrate and incentivize hard work and success!
The Salary Range for this role is between $130,000 - $150,000/year. Compensation is based on a number of factors including market location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Shipwell is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We celebrate diversity and believe that experience comes in different forms. Diversity in our team makes for better problem-solving, more creative thinking, and ultimately a better product and company culture.
Even more important than your resume is a clear demonstration of impact, dedication, and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced and collaborative environment. Shipwell strives to have an inclusive work environment; so if you are hard-working & good at what you do then please come as you are. We want you to contribute, grow, & learn at Shipwell.
We are looking forward to adding new perspectives to our team!