Software Engineer, Editor
Figma is growing our team of passionate people on a mission to make design accessible to all. Born on the Web, Figma helps entire product teams brainstorm, create, test, and ship better designs, together. From great products to long-lasting companies, we believe that nothing great is made alone—come make with us!
What you’ll do at Figma:
- Be paired with an onboarding buddy on your team who will help you ramp in our codebase and get to know Figma. You’ll move from starter tasks meant to familiarize you with our workflows to joining your teammates on larger projects.
- Get to know your Figmates across the company via team building activities, participating in our Give a Fig philanthropy efforts, joining one of our Employee Resource Groups, creating something amazing during Maker Week, or having hangs over Zoom (or in person once we’re back in one of our San Francisco or New York hubs).
- Work closely with teammates and partners in Product, Design, Marketing, User Research, and Data Science to build new features and achieve roadmap goals. We prioritize collaboration and cross-functional partnerships, so you won’t operate in silos.
- Craft performance objectives with your manager that align to company priorities and career development opportunities.
- Help grow Figma by interviewing candidates for teams across the Engineering organization.
- Be a mentor and provide thoughtful feedback to your peers, and benefit from strong personal and professional mentorship opportunity yourself
- Contribute to org-wide initiatives like new hire onboarding, developing interview processes, and Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion efforts
- Continue ramping and learning. The technical challenges in the Editor are unique, fun, ambitious, and ever-evolving.
Some projects you could work on:
- Building new features in a real time, multiplayer system with a complex data model that enables collaboration across files
- Solving for performance and memory optimizations—we want to keep pushing the limits of what it's possible to create in a browser while maintaining a highly performant UX
- Building tooling for authoring prototype behavior in the Editor, allowing users to create dynamic, interactive designs
- Extending and scaling the Editor and full stack system behind our design system features, enabling teams to build best-in-class design systems that work well with production components
- Contributing to mapping out an accessibility strategy, which may include improvements to the Figma UI (contrast, keyboard navigability, etc.) as well as tools to help people generate accessible content as they do their own work
We'd love to hear from you if you have:
- At least 3+ years of professional experience shipping features or products as a full-stack developer, and/or operating in a tech lead capacity
- proactive communication skills and a desire to work in a collaborative environment
- An interest in mentorship, learning from others, and digging into new challenges
- An inclusive approach towards building features, solving problems, investing in culture, and growing teams
Our end to end process will cover, at a high level:
- An initial non-technical call with a recruiter
- A live practical technical screen with an engineer using the programming language of your choice
- A video-based conversation with the manager of your potential team
- A fully virtual “onsite” interview with both technical/coding and non-technical/discussion-based areas of focus
Read more about our team:
- Behind the feature: shedding light on shadow spread
- How to build a plugin system on the web and also sleep well at night
- How Figma’s multiplayer technology works
- Behind the feature: the making of the new Auto Layout
- Investing in Figma: The Decade of Design
- How work is changing at Figma
- Figma's next product is a multiplayer whiteboard called FigJam
- Software Design Startup Figma Is Now Worth $10 Billion
Pay Transparency Disclosure
If based in Figma’s San Francisco or New York hub offices, this role has the annual base salary range stated below.
Job level and actual compensation will be decided based on factors including, but not limited to, individual qualifications objectively assessed during the interview process (including skills and prior relevant experience, potential impact, and scope of role), market demands, and specific work location. The listed range is a guideline, and the range for this role may be modified. For roles that are available to be filled remotely, the pay range is localized according to employee work location by a factor of between 80% and 100% of range. Please discuss your specific work location with your recruiter for more information.
Figma offers equity to employees, as well a competitive package of additional benefits, including health, dental & vision, retirement with company contribution, parental leave & reproductive or family planning support, mental health & wellness benefits, generous PTO, company recharge days, a learning & development stipend, a work from home stipend, and cell phone reimbursement. Figma also offers sales incentive pay for most sales roles. Figma’s compensation and benefits are subject to change and may be modified in the future.
We will work to ensure individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please let your recruiter know if you require accommodation.
Dylan Field and Evan Wallace co-founded Figma in 2012 with the vision of building tools for designers in the browser. Their goal was to create the first design tool that combined the accessibility of the Web with the functionality of a native app. Today Figma is a platform with tools and spaces to support the entire product development process—idea to design to build—and has simplified collaboration for companies like Microsoft, Uber, and The New York Times to name a few.
At Figma, we celebrate and support our differences. We know employing a team rich in diverse backgrounds, experiences, and opinions allows our employees, products, and community to flourish. Figma is an equal opportunity workplace—we are dedicated to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national orientation, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.