Technical Program Manager - Platform
Figma is growing our team of passionate people on a mission to make design accessible to all. Born on the Web, Figma helps entire product teams brainstorm, create, test, and ship better designs, together. From great products to long-lasting companies, we believe that nothing great is made alone—come make with us!
The mission of the Figma TPM team is to drive Figma’s most important cross-company engineering efforts, and we are looking for a Technical Program Manager to partner with our Tech org. The TPM team will take on oversight of the most important efforts that require coordinated technical execution across the Org in order to succeed. For 2023, our areas of focus are infrastructure and product performance, reliability, quality, developer velocity and FedRamp compliance. These efforts will involve prioritization, decision making, tracking execution & driving operational excellence in those areas. Process engineering will be a key part of this leadership role. We’re looking for someone that is passionate about people, technology and program management.
What you’ll do at Figma:
- As the TPM in our newly forming TPM function, you are crucial to the organization’s ability to drive and execute on this mission. You will have extensive experience in being the connector and collaborator together to manage and lead complex projects across multiple areas at Figma.
- Drive strategically important engineering-wide programs that have a meaningful impact on Figma’s brand and business. These programs will have significant impact on one or more dimensions: scalability / reliability of our platforms, experience of our users, Figma’s business and product metrics.
- Identify / create / drive programs that have significant impact on velocity and quality of engineering execution.
- Drive large multi-year programs to very high standards of quality and predictability. This includes managing project priorities, schedules, ensuring projects are properly scoped and resourced, identifying risks, building project analytics dashboards and clearly communicating outcomes to project stakeholders at leadership levels.
- Build and lead strong project teams in close partnership closely with Engineering Managers and Directors to quantify the impact of major initiatives in Platform engineering on the experience of our users and business metrics in partnership with our Data Science team.
Some projects you could work on:
- Run programs that touch all of Figma engineering (e.g Product Performance, FedRamp certification)
- Drive a transformation to increase developer velocity.
- Help scale and secure Figma infrastructure to meet the high traffic needs, and strive to eliminate downtime and improve the manageability of services
- Measure and improve efficiency and effectiveness of systems and processes
- Partner with all functions across the company to ensure all organizations are in sync
- Support Figma Platforms such as Security and Rendering/Animation
We'd love to hear from you if you have:
TPM will have both deep technical and program expertise. We are looking for a self driven leader who can gain the support of stakeholders with good data and technical arguments. Ideal candidates can influence thinking across multiple dimensions of platform, security, data, ML. They should have demonstrated experience building driving cross functional projects with large teams, and a proven track record of scaling infrastructure in a highly transformative environment. Specifically, they will be an innovative, intellectually curious problem solver. Ideal candidates would have worked as an IC engineer, program manager and/or Engineering Manager in the past.
- 5-10 years of software engineering, systems engineering or technical program management experience.
- Leading change with a goal to optimize for execution and efficiency across the teams in a large infrastructure setup.
- Experience moving technical or engineering programs from concept to completion and experience articulating the impact using metrics, growth examples, return, etc.
- Experience building and maintaining automated project dashboards and integrations.
- Experience with scale, production with emphasis on Performance, Reliability, Efficiency, Scalability, etc. with product knowledge.
- Strong bias to action, self-motivation and curiosity, with desire to bring people together and deliver high quality results in the constantly evolving growth and excitement of a start-up culture.
- Familiarity with AWS, server-side & web technologies such as Rust, Kubernetes, React would be valuable.
Pay Transparency Disclosure
If based in Figma’s San Francisco or New York hub offices, this role has the annual base salary range stated below.
Job level and actual compensation will be decided based on factors including, but not limited to, individual qualifications objectively assessed during the interview process (including skills and prior relevant experience, potential impact, and scope of role), market demands, and specific work location. The listed range is a guideline, and the range for this role may be modified. For roles that are available to be filled remotely, the pay range is localized according to employee work location by a factor of between 80% and 100% of range. Please discuss your specific work location with your recruiter for more information.
Figma offers equity to employees, as well a competitive package of additional benefits, including health, dental & vision, retirement with company contribution, parental leave & reproductive or family planning support, mental health & wellness benefits, generous PTO, company recharge days, a learning & development stipend, a work from home stipend, and cell phone reimbursement. Figma also offers sales incentive pay for most sales roles. Figma’s compensation and benefits are subject to change and may be modified in the future.
We will work to ensure individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please let your recruiter know if you require accommodation.
Dylan Field and Evan Wallace co-founded Figma in 2012 with the vision of building tools for designers in the browser. Their goal was to create the first design tool that combined the accessibility of the Web with the functionality of a native app. Today Figma is a platform with tools and spaces to support the entire product development process—idea to design to build—and has simplified collaboration for companies like Microsoft, Uber, and The New York Times to name a few.
At Figma, we celebrate and support our differences. We know employing a team rich in diverse backgrounds, experiences, and opinions allows our employees, products, and community to flourish. Figma is an equal opportunity workplace—we are dedicated to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national orientation, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.