Software Engineer (London, UK)
Figma is growing our team of passionate people on a mission to make design accessible to all. Born on the Web, Figma helps entire product teams brainstorm, design and build better products — from start to finish. Whether it’s consolidating tools, simplifying workflows, or collaborating across teams and time zones, Figma makes the design process faster, more efficient, and fun while keeping everyone on the same page. From great products to long-lasting companies, we believe that nothing great is made alone—come make with us!
Figma’s mission is to make design accessible to everyone, and by everyone we definitely also mean developers! Developers have unique workflows and preferences. From front-end developers working with mature design systems, to design systems engineers building components, to those building content layouts and exporting assets in their work with brand designers, every team wants to work with as little friction as possible.
The Dev Tools team is responsible for building tools that help designers and developers better collaborate and communicate inside Figma. In 2023, we launched Dev Mode, a suite of features that gives developers everything they need to navigate design files and transform designs into code. With Dev Mode, designers and developers stay in sync, making sure important details aren’t lost in the handoff process. The team partners with other product and engineering teams to ensure Figma continues to push the boundaries of collaboration between design and engineering.
Most of Figma’s developer surfaces are built on Typescript, React/Redux, and WebAssembly. This allows us to develop rapidly while maintaining performance & type safety. Our backend APIs are written in Ruby/Sinatra primarily and most data is stored in a relational database or file storage.
What you’ll do at Figma:
- Collaborate with designers, PMs, and other engineers to plan features and build a high quality product consistent with the Figma product and its brand.
- Build, document, and maintain tests, features and infrastructure
- Be a mentor and provide thoughtful feedback to your peers, and benefit from strong personal and professional mentorship opportunity yourself.
- Build strong personal connections with your teammates and help shape Figma’s culture.
We’d love to hear from you if you have:
- 3+ years of professional experience shipping user-facing features or products as a full-stack developer
- Experience communicating and working across functions to proactively drive solutions
While it’s not required, it’s an added plus if you also have:
- Experience writing C++ (or related languages such as Objective C or C) in a user-facing context (e.g. gaming, native applications).
- Experience in and a desire to teach fellow engineers through pairing, code review, and in-the-moment feedback.
- 2+ years of experience operating in a technical lead capacity
At Figma we celebrate and support our differences. We know employing a team rich in diverse thoughts, experiences, and opinions allows our employees, our product and our community to flourish. Figma is an equal opportunity workplace - we are dedicated to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity/expression, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.