Senior Cloud Engineer
Everyone is welcome at Handshake. We know diverse teams build better products and we are committed to creating an inclusive culture built on a foundation of respect for all individuals. We strongly encourage candidates from non-traditional backgrounds, historically marginalized or underrepresented groups to apply.
Want to learn more about what it's like to work at Handshake? Check out these interviews from our team members!
About the role
At Handshake, we are committed to building a diverse team of dynamic engineers who share our passion for creating high-quality, high-impact products. As a Senior Cloud Engineer, you will play an integral role in delivering critical, self-service Cloud infrastructure layers that enable our Platform. Our mission is to ensure our Cloud infrastructure is reliable, scalable and consumable across Engineering. As part of our Team, you will have the ability to create significant impact through innovation, automation and continuously evolving our technology stack and processes.
You will be joining a group of exceptional engineers with diverse backgrounds and skill sets, with plenty of opportunity to play to your strengths as well as lean-in and learn new areas that are exciting to you.
You’re excited about this opportunity because you will…
Work with a fantastic bunch of highly talented and collaborative teammates and colleagues.
Support the deployment and operation of multiple highly available K8S clusters.
Establish and enforce best practices for K8S, including deployment patterns, sizing, etc.
Develop solutions with support for monitoring, metrics, and automation.
Collaborate with other teams to influence design for engineering excellence.
Work in a 100% Cloud Environment (primarily GCP) and use modern tools and services like Argo Workflows, Argo CD, Prometheus, etc.
Develop and automate our infrastructure with Terraform
Drive observability and actionable insights across our infrastructure & services
Lead high-impact, cross-functional projects to completion and mentor junior members of the Team
We’re excited about you because…
You are adept with agile software development lifecycle and DevOps principles
You prefer taking projects from inception to completion and are outcome-oriented
You act with empathy when partnering with fellow engineers and coworkers
You have 5+ years of experience in building and maintaining cloud-based architectures in AWS and/or GCP
You have experience with Linux / Unix-based operating systems
You have expertise with IaC and GitOps workflows
You have prior experience with modern infrastructure tooling, such as Kubernetes, as an administrator or operator in a production setting
You have experience securing Kubernetes by implementing best practices such as OPA, RBAC, and utilizing Kubernetes security features
You have Infrastructure networking experience: firewalls, load balancing, DNS, etc.
You are passionate about building simple and high-quality infrastructure
You follow or contribute to OSS & CNCF projects
You have experience working in distributed, performant, at-scale systems
You eliminate toil through automation
Technologies you’ll work with:
Golang, Python, Ruby
OpenTelemetry, Datadog, Prometheus
PostgreSQL, Redis, Pub/Sub, Elasticsearch
$150,000 - $200,000
For cash compensation, we set standard ranges for all U.S.-based roles based on function, level, and geographic location, benchmarked against similar stage growth companies. In order to be compliant with local legislation, as well as to provide greater transparency to candidates, we share salary ranges on all job postings regardless of desired hiring location. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors, including geographic location as well as candidate experience and expertise, and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Handshake is the #1 place to launch a career with no connections, experience, or luck required. The platform connects up-and-coming talent with 750,000+ employers - from Fortune 500 companies like Google, Nike, and Target to thousands of public school districts, healthcare systems, and nonprofits. In 2022 we announced our $200M Series F funding round. This Series F fundraise and valuation of $3.5B will fuel Handshake’s next phase of growth and propel our mission to help more people start, restart, and jumpstart their careers.
When it comes to our workforce strategy, we’ve thought deeply about how work-life should look here at Handshake. With our Hub-Based Remote Working strategy, employees can enjoy the flexibility of remote work, whilst ensuring collaboration and team experiences in a shared space remains possible. Handshake is headquartered in San Francisco with offices in Denver, New York, London, and Berlin and teammates working globally.
Check out our careers site to find a hub near you!
What we offer
Benefits below apply to employees in full-time positions.
At Handshake, we'll give you the tools to feel healthy, happy and secure.
- 💰 Equity and ownership in a fast-growing company.
- 🍼 16 Weeks of paid parental leave for birth giving parents & 10 weeks of paid parental leave for non-birth giving parents.
- 💝 Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision policies including LGTBQ+ Coverage. We also provide resources for Mental Health Assistance, Employee Assistance Programs and counseling support.
- 💻 Handshake offers $500/£360 home office stipend for you to spend during your first 3 months to create a productive and comfortable workspace at home.
- 📚 Generous learning & development opportunities and an annual $2,000/£1,500 stipend for you to grow your skills and career.
- 🏦 401k Match: Handshake offers a dollar-for-dollar match on 1% of deferred salary, up to a maximum of $1,200 per year.
- 🏝 All full-time US-based Handshakers are eligible for our flexible time off policy to get out and see the world. In addition, we offer 8 standardized holidays, and 2 additional days of flexible holiday time off. Lastly, we have a Winter #ShakeBreak, a one-week period of Collective Time Off.
- 🏦 Pension Scheme: Handshake will provide you with a workplace pension, where you will make contributions based on 5% of your salary. Handshake will pay the equivalent of 3% towards your pension plan, subject to qualifying earnings limits.
- 🏝 Up to 25 days of vacation to encourage people to reset, recharge, and refresh, in addition to 8 bank holidays throughout the year.
For roles based in Berlin and Romania: Please ask your recruiter about region specific benefits.
Looking for more? Explore our mission, values and comprehensive US benefits at joinhandshake.com/careers.