Software Engineer, Developer Infrastructure
We're on a mission to make it possible for every person, team, and company to be able to tailor their software to solve any problem and take on any challenge. Computers may be our most powerful tools, but most of us can't build or modify the software we use on them every day. At Notion, we want to change this with focus, design, and craft.
We've been working on this together since 2016, and have customers like Pixar, Mitsubishi, Figma, Plaid, Match Group, and thousands more on this journey with us. Today, we're growing fast and excited for new teammates to join us who are the best at what they do. We're passionate about building a company as diverse and creative as the millions of people Notion reaches worldwide.
About The Role:
Millions of people use Notion — and this number is increasing every day. That means millions of people trust us to deliver a fast, reliable, and secure experience, and we value this more than anything. We want to keep earning trust, while also continuing to amaze our users with the tools they can build in Notion. The Developer Productivity team is responsible for architecting, implementing, and scaling our tools and frameworks that Notion developers use to build these products for our users. We are looking for engineers who are passionate about solving engineering productivity challenges and have deep empathy for other developers.
What You'll Achieve:
- Take ownership of the overall development environment and toolchain, and drive novel projects across the company to deliver impact.
- Minimize time spent between code commit and production deploy, via better tooling, testing, framework, and automation, without sacrificing quality or reliability.
- Provide top-notch observability tools for Notion engineers to scale Notion reliably.
Skills You'll Need to Bring:
- Developer productivity expert: You bring multiple years of expertise in developer productivity, developer experience or DevOps engineering. You have deep understanding of modern development practices and tools, and experience designing, building, and evaluating those tools.
- Developer experience mindset: You think critically about how the tools you build will be used by the rest of the engineering team. Your work emphasizes simplicity, supportability, and ease-of-use, and you communicate clearly with other teams to get both structured and unstructured feedback on where we can improve. You have experience supporting developer experience for engineers working on a web client, not just server.
- Startup mentality: You are comfortable navigating the fast moving, unstructured nature of a fast-growing startup. You are self-motivated to add value and bias towards action. You understand the importance of setting the engineering quality bar for the long term success of our business without shying away from difficult prioritization decisions.
- Pragmatic and business-oriented: You care about business impact and prioritize projects accordingly. You don't just go after cool stuff—you understand the balance between craft, speed, and the bottom line. To you, technologies and programming languages are about tradeoffs. You may be opinionated, but you're not ideological and can learn new technologies as you go.
Nice to Haves:
- You have a deep understanding of TypeScript and how to keep it running smoothly in a large codebase.
- You’ve untangled complex codebases with interwoven dependencies to improve developer productivity and tooling speed without compromising reliability.
- You have experience in scaling developer experience a hyper-growth startup
- You can independently lead a small team and multi-month project end to end to accomplish team goals.
We hire talented and passionate people from a variety of backgrounds because we want our global employee base to represent the wide diversity of our customers. If you’re excited about a role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every bullet point listed in the job description, we still encourage you to apply. If you’re a builder at heart, share our company values, and enthusiastic about making software toolmaking ubiquitous, we want to hear from you.
Notion is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Notion considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Notion is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please let your recruiter know.
Notion is committed to providing highly competitive cash compensation, equity, and benefits. The compensation offered for this role will be based on multiple factors such as location, the role’s scope and complexity, and the candidate’s experience and expertise, and may vary from the range provided below. For roles based in San Francisco, the estimated base salary range for this role is $145,000 - $250,000 per year.