Software Engineer, Backend
We're on a mission to make it possible for every person, team, and company to be able to tailor their software to solve any problem and take on any challenge. Computers may be our most powerful tools, but most of us can't build or modify the software we use on them every day. At Notion, we want to change this with focus, design, and craft.
We've been working on this together since 2016, and have customers like Pixar, Mitsubishi, Figma, Plaid, Match Group, and thousands more on this journey with us. Today, we're growing fast and excited for new teammates to join us who are the best at what they do. We're passionate about building a company as diverse and creative as the millions of people Notion reaches worldwide.
Notion is an in person company, and currently requires its employees to come to the office for two Anchor Days (Mondays & Thursdays) and requests that employees spend the majority of their week in the office (including a third day).
About The Role:
Millions of people use Notion — and this number is increasing every day. That means a million people trust us to deliver a fast, reliable, and secure experience, and we value this more than anything. We want to keep earning trust, while also continuing to amaze our users with the tools they can build in Notion. This is where you come in — to help us forge a performant and reliable path forward to the future.
What You'll Achieve:
- Write clean, secure, tested, and documented code.
- Design & enhance the Notion platform with new capabilities, as and when the need arises.
- Contribute to monitoring & scaling the architecture of the platform and the infrastructure.
- Write technical documentation, contribute to determining internal processes.
- Contribute to recruiting of new backend employees
Skills You'll Need to Bring:
- 2+ years of experience building scalable platforms.
- Good understanding of database (Relational Or Nosql) internals like transactions, indexes. Experience in schema design.
- experience working on the AWS platform, and acquaintance with technologies like Elastic Beanstalk, AWS Lambda, Elastic Load Balancer.
- Good understanding of docker internals.
- Good communication skills, good leadership skills, attention to detail, a sound understanding of algorithms, and object-oriented programming.
Nice to Haves:
- You're proficient with any part of our technology stack: React, TypeScript, Node.js, Memcached, Postgres, Docker, and Elasticsearch.
- You've heard of computing pioneers like Ada Lovelace, Douglas Engelbart, Alan Kay, and others—and understand why we're big fans of their work.
- You have interests outside of technology, such as in art, history, or social sciences.
We hire talented and passionate people from a variety of backgrounds because we want our global employee base to represent the wide diversity of our customers. If you’re excited about a role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every bullet point listed in the job description, we still encourage you to apply. If you’re a builder at heart, share our company values, and enthusiastic about making software toolmaking ubiquitous, we want to hear from you.
Notion is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Notion considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Notion is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation made due to a disability, please let your recruiter know.