We're on a mission to make it possible for every person, team, and company to be able to tailor their software to solve any problem and take on any challenge. Computers may be our most powerful tools, but most of us can't build or modify the software we use on them every day. At Notion, we want to change this with focus, design, and craft.
We've been working on this together since 2016, and have customers like Pixar, Mitsubishi, Figma, Plaid, Match Group, and thousands more on this journey with us. Today, we're growing fast and excited for new teammates to join us who are the best at what they do. We're passionate about building a company as diverse and creative as the millions of people Notion reaches worldwide.
Notion is an in person company, and currently requires its employees to come to the office for two Anchor Days (Mondays & Thursdays) and requests that employees spend the majority of their week in the office (including a third day).
The Role & Responsibilities
Reporting to the Chief Accounting Officer, the Corporate Controller will serve as a strategic thought partner and be relied upon to build and lead a top-tier corporate accounting organization that can continue to scale with the growth of the business. Specific responsibilities include:
- Lead, manage, and scale the company’s corporate accounting functions, including technical accounting, financial reporting, and finance operations
- Supervise monthly and quarterly financial close processes ensuring timely and accurate financial statements
- Ensure compliance with accounting standards and regulations, such as GAAP and local regulatory requirements
- Manage the accounting team, ensuring efficient day-to-day financial operations, including accounts payable, and payroll
- Act as a liaison to external auditing firms with primary responsibility for the Company’s views on technical accounting matters
- Oversee the Company's banking relationships, including cash management and investing activities
- Develop and/or maintain internal control policies and procedures for accounting and business operations
- Provide leadership/management for a variety of initiatives, including but not limited to financial systems improvements, process enhancements (time to close), and responses to changes required to remain compliant with new accounting rules and regulations.
Skills You'll Need to Bring
- 10+ years of professional Accounting, Finance, or related experience, including as a Controller
- Strong working knowledge of U.S. GAAP and critical principles of application for a wide array of finance and accounting areas
- Experience working directly with external auditors and building efficient internal controls.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Netsuite & IPO experience a bonus
- Strong buy-in to Notion’s operating values: We are drivers of our mission, we are pace setters, we are truth seekers, we are kind and direct.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work synergistically with other team members
- Possesses an entrepreneurial mindset; demonstrates a high level of dedication, urgency, and unrelenting drive to win, while maintaining a sense of humility
- Mission driven; connected to the company, customers, and vision
- For more, check out how Notion hires and life at Notion
We hire talented and passionate people from a variety of backgrounds because we want our global employee base to represent the wide diversity of our customers. If you’re excited about a role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every bullet point listed in the job description, we still encourage you to apply. If you’re a builder at heart, share our company values, and enthusiastic about making software toolmaking ubiquitous, we want to hear from you.
Notion is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Notion considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Notion is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please let your recruiter know.
Notion is committed to providing highly competitive cash compensation, equity, and benefits. The compensation offered for this role will be based on multiple factors such as location, the role’s scope and complexity, and the candidate’s experience and expertise, and may vary from the range provided below. For roles based in San Francisco, the estimated base salary range for this role is $230,000 - $335,000 per year.