Senior Software Developer, Application Security
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Saturday, June 10, 2023
Your career is an investment that grows over time!
Wealthsimple is on a mission to help everyone achieve financial freedom by reimagining what it means to manage your money. Using smart technology, we take financial services that are often confusing, opaque and expensive and make them transparent and low-cost for everyone. We’re the largest fintech company in Canada, with over 3 million users who trust us with more than $20 billion in assets.
Our teams ship often and make an impact with groundbreaking ideas. We're looking for talented people who keep it simple and value collaboration and humility as we continue to create inclusive and high-performing teams where people can be inspired to do their best work.
About the team:
The Application Security team is a specialized group with a mix of software and security skillsets who identify areas of risk within our applications and work to mitigate them in a timely and scalable manner ensuring we build security and privacy into each and every product.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to:
- Facilitate architecture decisions and build software affecting large parts of the organization
- Take a maker owner approach to identifying and remediating security or privacy anti-patterns affecting large parts of the organization.
- Integrate security best practices throughout the software development lifecycle while maintaining developer productivity.
- Mentor engineers at all levels and across the organization at a meta-level (e.g. being able to help shape our approach to mentoring) and contribute to our security awareness and champions programs.
- Use a suite of approaches to identifying vulnerabilities, risks and business logic flaws using Threat Modeling, Secure Code Review, Secure Architecture Review, Bug Bounty Program Administration, SAST, DAST, IAST, and PenTesting.
We're looking for someone who:
- Is able to clearly and effectively communicate, internally and externally, security best practices and strategy, even serving as a translator between different teams.
- Is an effective listener, consensus builder and effectively incorporates diverse ideas into a coherent vision.
- Contributes to best practices in leadership and people management, especially when it comes to hiring at the senior level.
- Is a mentor and who will have a large positive impact on morale and company culture.
Within 6 months, you’ll:
- Use our internal data to identify areas of improvements within our applications.
- Join a targeted campaign to identify and remediate security concerns in a single product.
- Make improvements to our existing CI/CD tooling to improve their accuracy and effectiveness.
- Participate in our Security Champions and Security Awareness programs.
- Take a rotation managing our bug bounty program.
Within 12 months, you’ll:
- Propose improvements to our data collection and analysis.
- Lead a campaign to identify and remediate security concerns in a single product.
- Evaluate and expand our existing DevSecOps program to increase its return on investment.
- Lead a Security Champion cohort.
- Improve the ability of our security researchers to test our platform.
🤑 Competitive Salary with top-tier health benefits and life insurance
📈 Retirement savings matching plan using Wealthsimple Work
🌴 20 vacation days per year and unlimited sick and mental health days
📚 Up to $1500 per year towards wellness and professional development budgets respectively
🛫 90 days away program: Employees can work internationally in eligible countries for up to 90 days per calendar year
🌎 A wide variety of peer and company-led Employee Resource Groups (ie. Rainbow, Women of Wealthsimple, Black @ WS)
💖 Company-wide wellness days off scheduled throughout the year
We’re a remote-first team, with over 1000 employees coast to coast in North America. Be a part of our Canadian success story and help shape the financial future of millions — join us!
At Wealthsimple, we are building products for a diverse world and we need a diverse team to do that successfully. We strongly encourage applications from everyone regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status.
Wealthsimple provides an accessible candidate experience. If you need any accommodations or adjustments throughout the interview process and beyond, please let us know, and we will work with you to provide the necessary support and make reasonable accommodations to facilitate your participation. We are continuously working to improve our accessibility practices and welcome any feedback or suggestions on how we can better accommodate candidates with accessibility needs.