Analytics Developer, Risk
Software Engineering, Data Science
Posted on Thursday, November 9, 2023
Your career is an investment that grows over time!
Wealthsimple is on a mission to help everyone achieve financial freedom by reimagining what it means to manage your money. Using smart technology, we take financial services that are often confusing, opaque and expensive and make them transparent and low-cost for everyone. We’re the largest fintech company in Canada, with over 3 million users who trust us with more than $20 billion in assets.
Our teams ship often and make an impact with groundbreaking ideas. We're looking for talented people who keep it simple and value collaboration and humility as we continue to create inclusive and high-performing teams where people can be inspired to do their best work.
About the team:
The Risk Data Science & Engineering team consists of data scientists and analytics developers with diverse educational backgrounds. The team is responsible for delivering predictive analytics to support data-driven management of fraud and credit risks. The team is staffed with seasoned data experts and well supported by product managers, software developers, and risk strategists.
We are hiring for an Analytics Developer in the Risk DSE team. You will be responsible for building robust, efficient and integrated data models that enable our risk analytics and machine learning. These data models will serve as the foundation of our risk strategies, allowing the team to monitor and detect risk trends, build machine learning models, and launch new financial products. As an Analytics Developer, you will be leading the charge against metric definition and providing risk strategy inputs. A successful Analytics Developer is able to blend business acumen and software engineering best practices while effectively communicating with stakeholders.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to:
- Build data models in the cloud data warehouse that will be used as the source of truth for analytics and machine learning
- Develop comprehensive reports and dashboards to support data-driven decision making
- Implement and maintain robust data controls to ensure data integrity and accuracy
- Apply software engineering best practices like version control and continuous integration to the analytics code base
- Ideate and implement new machine learning model features by contributing to the internal Feature Store
- Translate business requirements into data models that will help stakeholders answer key business questions
- Ensure data models are well tested, documented and maintained
- Believe that simple is better, Occam's razor is your friend
- Take ownership and ship it; release incrementally and iteratively
- Teach and learn from your teammates. We value making others successful
Skills we are looking for:
- Strong technical skills in manipulating large data sets with complex SQL and Python
- Expertise in data visualization. Experience with data visualization tools on the cloud (e.g. Apache Superset / Quicksight) is a plus
- Experience with dbt
- Comfortable with software engineering best practices like version control and using Git
- Experience with cloud data warehousing (e.g. Snowflake, Bigquery, Redshift)
- Proficient understanding of data warehousing methodologies and concepts (Kimball, Inmon, etc)
- Experience with machine learning feature engineering
- Excellent communication which can translate business requirements into data models and maintain clear documentation
- Able to build and maintain multi-functional relationships with various teams across the business
- Experience working in the risk management domain is a plus
- Experience with graph databases is a plus
🤑 Competitive Salary with top-tier health benefits and life insurance
📈 Retirement savings matching plan using Wealthsimple Work
🌴 20 vacation days per year and unlimited sick and mental health days
📚 Up to $1500 per year towards wellness and professional development budgets respectively
🛫 90 days away program: Employees can work internationally in eligible countries for up to 90 days per calendar year
🌎 A wide variety of peer and company-led Employee Resource Groups (ie. Rainbow, Women of Wealthsimple, Black @ WS)
💖 Company-wide wellness days off scheduled throughout the year
We’re a remote-first team, with over 1000 employees coast to coast in North America. Be a part of our Canadian success story and help shape the financial future of millions — join us!
At Wealthsimple, we are building products for a diverse world and we need a diverse team to do that successfully. We strongly encourage applications from everyone regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status.
Wealthsimple provides an accessible candidate experience. If you need any accommodations or adjustments throughout the interview process and beyond, please let us know, and we will work with you to provide the necessary support and make reasonable accommodations to facilitate your participation. We are continuously working to improve our accessibility practices and welcome any feedback or suggestions on how we can better accommodate candidates with accessibility needs.