Backend Software Developer, Options
Posted on Saturday, November 11, 2023
Your career is an investment that grows over time!
Wealthsimple is on a mission to help everyone achieve financial freedom by reimagining what it means to manage your money. Using smart technology, we take financial services that are often confusing, opaque and expensive and make them transparent and low-cost for everyone. We’re the largest fintech company in Canada, with over 3 million users who trust us with more than $20 billion in assets.
Our teams ship often and make an impact with groundbreaking ideas. We're looking for talented people who keep it simple and value collaboration and humility as we continue to create inclusive and high-performing teams where people can be inspired to do their best work.
About the team
The vision of the Options team is to deliver the most intuitive and user-friendly Options trading platform in Canada! We have already made a great start but we are always working to improve our product to create the best-in-class Options-trading platform.
On this team, you will work with a talented, full-stack engineering team and collaborate cross-functionally with Product, Design and Operations to expand our offering of Options trading strategies and provide more ways to explore and trade Options (i.e. on our web platform as well as the mobile app).
Skills we're looking for:
- Proven experience as a Backend Software Developer (we use Java/Kotlin on this team).
- Deep care and focus on operational excellence.
- An inquisitive mindset: you have the desire to learn new skills, the ability to ask questions, and remain open to new ideas and perspectives.
- Proactive communication skills and a willingness to work directly with designers, product managers, and other collaborators to focus on quality, testing, system design and building iteratively.
- Experience in and a desire to mentor fellow developers through pairing, code review, and in-the-moment feedback.
Within 1 month, you'll:
- Learn about the foundations of Wealthsimple, and our current goals for the future that you will start to shape.
- Meet other new Wealthsimplers in your onboarding group and key people from each department, to start to build relationships across the company.
- Gather an understanding of our technology by pair-programming with your teammates and attending engineering onboarding sessions designed and presented by your peers.
- Have an assigned buddy within your team that will assist you in getting up-to-speed with our architecture and current projects.
Within 3 months, you'll:
- Learn Wealthsimple’s technical stack and apply our development patterns and best practices through your work.
- Buddy up for your first on-call rotation to help identify and resolve production issues and bugs clients have experienced.
- Contribute and support work in a new or existing product and share your work with the team.
- Learn how to query our data to measure the impact of your work.
- Support over a million clients on their financial journey by shipping your first project or feature in a secure, and scalable way. 🚀
Within 6 months, you'll:
- Reliably ship new features to our clients, following our best practices such as shipping daily, writing automated tests and monitoring.
- Contribute to or lead the technical design of a project, while understanding how it will shape our future architecture.
- Collaborate with other developers on the team while mentoring and providing continuous feedback via code reviews.
- Develop a big picture perspective and understand how our tools and frameworks come together. You’ll feel comfortable contributing to various codebases.
Within 12 months, you'll:
- Lead your first project: planning, scoping and regularly communicating progress to stakeholders to ensure the quality and timelines.
- Have provided leverage to our engineering teams by shipping new best practices and tools for all to benefit from.
- Participate in our hiring process and shape the growth of the Engineering team.
- Have worked closely with our product and design teams, contributing your own feedback and opinions on design and UX.
🤑 Competitive Salary with top-tier health benefits and life insurance
📈 Retirement savings matching plan using Wealthsimple Work
🌴 20 vacation days per year and unlimited sick and mental health days
📚 Up to $1500 per year towards wellness and professional development budgets respectively
🛫 90 days away program: Employees can work internationally in eligible countries for up to 90 days per calendar year
🌎 A wide variety of peer and company-led Employee Resource Groups (ie. Rainbow, Women of Wealthsimple, Black @ WS)
💖 Company-wide wellness days off scheduled throughout the year
We’re a remote-first team, with over 1000 employees coast to coast in North America. Be a part of our Canadian success story and help shape the financial future of millions — join us!
At Wealthsimple, we are building products for a diverse world and we need a diverse team to do that successfully. We strongly encourage applications from everyone regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status.
Wealthsimple provides an accessible candidate experience. If you need any accommodations or adjustments throughout the interview process and beyond, please let us know, and we will work with you to provide the necessary support and make reasonable accommodations to facilitate your participation. We are continuously working to improve our accessibility practices and welcome any feedback or suggestions on how we can better accommodate candidates with accessibility needs.