Development Manager, API Platform
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2023
Your career is an investment that grows over time!
Wealthsimple is on a mission to help everyone achieve financial freedom by reimagining what it means to manage your money. Using smart technology, we take financial services that are often confusing, opaque and expensive and make them transparent and low-cost for everyone. We’re the largest fintech company in Canada, with over 3 million users who trust us with more than $20 billion in assets.
Our teams ship often and make an impact with groundbreaking ideas. We're looking for talented people who keep it simple and value collaboration and humility as we continue to create inclusive and high-performing teams where people can be inspired to do their best work.
About the team
API Platform team is a platform team that supports the needs of all Wealthsimple developers who leverage APIs for shipping new features and building great products for our clients. We empower these teams to build industry-shifting features using reusable building blocks that increase velocity and remove the complexity of coordinating multiple services and applications.
The API Platform team delivers a consistent platform of reusable patterns, enforces best practices, and creates tooling and automation using modern API technologies across all of Wealthsimple.
We are informed by Product teams and deliver solutions back to all teams to increase velocity and reduce the toil and cost of development.
On the API Platform team we value thoroughness, open-mindedness, leadership, and collaboration.
What we’re working on 🚀
- We’re making it easy to find great documentation across all of our APIs
- We are moving many of our internal REST APIs to GraphQL
- We make it easy for developers to publish new APIs when needed
- We are identifying inefficiencies and increasing scalability of our systems by reducing the number of N+1 queries and network fanouts in our system
- We ensure that teams have API observability to identify reliability issues and performance concerns
- We’ve moved towards consistency in our API server technologies across all existing and new services
- We find opportunities to improve API hygiene and clean up unused parts of our schema
Scope & Impact
- As a platform team, we support the foundational pieces of all product development
- We ensure that proper abstractions are in place for rapid development of existing and future features
- We work closely with backend and frontend teams across Wealthsimple and manage a number of stakeholders
- We make it easy to stitch GraphQL schemas into our GraphQL Gateway
- Communication and enablement is fundamental to our impact
- Deprecation and sunset strategies for evolution of our APIs
We’re looking for someone who will
- Be the people leader for API Platform and have multiple direct reports
- Develop the individuals on your teams to ensure everyone can be challenged, fulfilled, and growing in their career
- Set clear expectations and hold a high bar for quality and team performance
- Create, refine, and deliver on a roadmap for the team and bring best-in-class API design to Wealthsimple
- Identify opportunities for improvement and innovation across engineering with a focus on APIs, GraphQL, integrations, and future-proof designs
- Make great, informed decisions and influence the rest of the organization to deliver impact
- Build deep context and become a subject matter expert in order to lead with confidence, clarity, and best practices
- Develop a general understanding of the Wealthsimple business and products.
Our tech stack
- TypeScript and Ruby
- ApolloServer and ApolloClient
- GraphQL Hive and technologies from The Guild
- Real-time subscriptions and websockets
🤑 Competitive Salary with top-tier health benefits and life insurance
📈 Retirement savings matching plan using Wealthsimple Work
🌴 20 vacation days per year and unlimited sick and mental health days
📚 Up to $1500 per year towards wellness and professional development budgets respectively
🛫 90 days away program: Employees can work internationally in eligible countries for up to 90 days per calendar year
🌎 A wide variety of peer and company-led Employee Resource Groups (ie. Rainbow, Women of Wealthsimple, Black @ WS)
💖 Company-wide wellness days off scheduled throughout the year
We’re a remote-first team, with over 1000 employees coast to coast in North America. Be a part of our Canadian success story and help shape the financial future of millions — join us!
At Wealthsimple, we are building products for a diverse world and we need a diverse team to do that successfully. We strongly encourage applications from everyone regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status.
Wealthsimple provides an accessible candidate experience. If you need any accommodations or adjustments throughout the interview process and beyond, please let us know, and we will work with you to provide the necessary support and make reasonable accommodations to facilitate your participation. We are continuously working to improve our accessibility practices and welcome any feedback or suggestions on how we can better accommodate candidates with accessibility needs.